Website University of Cape Town
The Centre for Lung Infection and Immunity (CLII) at the UCT Lung Institute invites applications for suitably qualified candidates for a 6-month Fixed Term Contract (with possibility of renewal based on performance) as an Immunology Laboratory Technician (*position for appointment as soon as possible).
- Assisting with experimental design and development of relevant SOPs.
- Performing relevant immunological techniques including but not limited to PBMC/ BAL cell processing, cell isolation and culture, flow cytometry (staining, acquisition, analysis), other techniques relevant to the specific project.
- Liaising between laboratory and clinical staff.
- Assisting with logistics regarding appropriate collection, storage and transport of human specimens.
- Assisting with writing of reports and other administrative duties related to the projects
- Supporting the clinical team with in-field operations whenever required.
- Ensuring good Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
- Ordering and maintaining reagent and consumable inventories • Ensuring site and laboratory equipment is functioning appropriately.
- Experience in two or more of the following techniques is essential:
- Computer Literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and Internet, simple stats software experience would be advantageous)
- ELISA, ELISPOT, Luminex
- At least an MSc in immunology, molecular biology or a related field (candidates with a BSc Honors will be considered if they have sufficient experience in the techniques listed below)
- One or more scientific publication/s related to immunology would be advantageous.
- Flow cytometry (hands-on experience would be highly advantageous)
- Other relevant molecular or immunology techniques.
- Two or more years of laboratory experience in immunology (working with infectious human samples would be advantageous).
- Culturing of human primary cells
- Peripheral blood mononuclear and bronchoalveolar lavage cell processing and cryopreservation
- RNA extraction from different human specimens (cells, tissue)
- Working with infectious pathogens (i.e. TB, SARS-CoV2) in BSL3 laboratory settings (advantageous)
Company: University of Cape Town
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A