Website University of Cape Town
The UCT Research Animal Facility seeks to attract a suitably qualified and experienced South African Veterinary Council registered Veterinary Nurse / Laboratory Animal Technologist to perform para-veterinary duties in the UCT Faculty of Health Sciences Research Animal Facility (RAF) (50% of time) and the Drug Discovery and Development Centre (H3D) (50% of time). The main purpose of this position is to provide the UCT RAF and H3D with dedicated para-veterinary support and to ensure continued refinement of the animal health and welfare standards of research animals, in order to comply with ethical, animal welfare and legal requirements for conducting world-class scientific research.
- Improvement and maintenance of quality management systems and processes
- Supervision and training of staff within the UCT- RAF and H3D
- Assume para-veterinary on call or emergency on call after hours duties including weekends and public holidays as required
- Assist with the refinement and quality of care standards for animals
- Provision of dedicated clinical and Para-veterinary support including performing clinical procedures
- Preparation, cleaning and maintenance of equipment and supplies
- Ensure compliance with ethical, welfare, legal, health and safety and operational requirements for conducting world-class research in a large and complex academic research animal facility
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- A relevant qualification as a Veterinary Nurse or Laboratory Animal Technologist (NQF 6)
- Demonstrated ability to self-manage, excellent attention to detail and strong work ethic.
- South African driver’s license
- Computer literacy: Microsoft outlook, word and excel.
- Knowledge of laboratory animal husbandry, welfare-monitoring, care and treatment
- At least one years’ experience working as a Veterinary Nurse or Laboratory Animal Technologist in an animal research environment or other relevant clinical environment with a proven track record and the ability to take responsibility to perform the competencies required for the post.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Current registration with the South African Veterinary Council as a Veterinary Nurse or Laboratory Animal Technologist
- Knowledge of the ethical principles for the use of animals in scientific research and teaching.
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative, enterprise and problem solve
- Evidence of planning and organisational skills
Company: University of Cape Town
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A