Website Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Developers all over the world rely on AWS purpose-built database, analytics, and ML services that enable them to build data driven applications that serve virtually any use case, from processing millions of transactions per second to querying or training models on petabytes of data for analytics, business intelligence, and machine learning. Our success depends on our world-class technology, and we’re handling massive scale and rapid integration of emerging technologies. We are looking for Systems Developers to join and drive our development teams building Amazon’s next generation of services.
We’re seeking talented system development engineers to build solutions to accelerate region builds, technology transformations, and feature deployments. This SysDev role is part of Athena, offering serverless, interactive SQL querying at any scale, and will support our efforts to grow Athena at an incredibly fast pace, and drive cross org campaigns at scale. Customer usage of Athena continues to grow exponentially, and we are constantly expanding our global footprint with new AWS regions. How can you tell if this role is for you? You’re always on the hunt to automate in any given system, and you find simple, systemic changes to improve things permanently. Finally, you hunger to give customers what they want: highly performant, low-cost, always-on analytics services.
In This Position, You’ll Have The Opportunity To
- Design, implement, deploy and maintain innovative solutions to improve the speed of delivery and adoption of new technologies within AWS analytics services.
- Use engineering best practices to ensure the standard of quality of all team deliverables.
- Work in an agile development environment prioritizing most important and impactful projects.
- Integrate internal tooling APIs and data to develop custom solutions for multiple stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary builder and operator. You’ll have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous development efforts. You’ll be able to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity, and demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment.
Key job responsibilities
As a Systems Development Engineer at Amazon, you’ll be expected to:
- Demonstrate your overall technical competencies and your analytical and problem-solving skills
- Oversee the design process, implementation schedule, and delivery to stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Work closely with senior leadership to develop the long-term technical strategy and feature roadmap
- Bring a deep understanding of software development methodologies to the team
- Demonstrate your ability to operate a service with high availability, and continue to learn and develop the skills needed to meet the high operational excellence bar expected by AWS
- Contribute to Amazon’s intellectual property through patents and/or external publications
This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor with a new AWS service, and work in an exciting startup environment.
About The Team
We’re building a new performance acceleration service that will span the portfolio of analytics services.
- 4+ years of experience as a systems development engineer or in related occupations (DevOps engineering, software/systems development)
- 3+ years of experience building automated tools in Python, Java and/or Ruby.
- Experience with agile software development practices.
- Comfortable working with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
- Ability to take a project from requirements analysis through to launch and operation of the system in production.
- Experience building and operating distributed systems at large scale
- Experience with database systems internals
- Experience delivering performance optimization features
- Detects and mitigates security risks during design and implementation phase, and responds to product security incidents
- Performs threat analysis and security code reviews to identify potential vulnerabilities
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Company – Amazon Web Services SA Pvt Ltd
Job ID: A2083327